Although your home is reliant on electricity, electricity itself can be very dangerous. Problems with the electrical system can cause serious injury, death or a fire in your home. Here are some common household electrical hazards:
Overloading your electrical systems.
Nowadays, we have multiple electronics that need to be plugged in near one area of a room. We need an outlet for the television, cable box, audio system, DVD players, games system, modem, router…the list can go on. Overloading your electrical outlets can cause overheating and a potential electrical danger. If you need more outlets installed in your house to meet your needs, contact a trusted electrician to install them for you. Read here why DIY electrical in a bad idea.
Faulty or outdated wiring.
Poor wiring is one of the most common causes of residential fires, according to the National Fire Prevention Association. If there have been renovations done to the home by a previous owner, or if your home is older than 30 years, you should have an electrician come and inspect your wiring for you. You might have a hazard lurking between your walls.
Damaged electrical cords and misuse of extension cords.
Have you noticed the cord on your favourite lamp is frayed or damaged? Replace that cord immediately or stop using the lamp! Damaged electrical cords can cause an electrical shock on contact and are a major fire hazard. If you are using an extension cord, make sure they are being used properly and never use an extension cord as permanent wiring in your home. If you find you’re wanting to always use extension cords to power things in your home, consider installing additional outlets instead.
Exposed electrical outlets around young children.
Babies, toddlers and even little children can become curious about electrical outlets and stick their finger or an object into them. This can cause them to be burned, shocked or even electrocuted. If you have young children in your home, make sure you protect them by putting plastic plugs over your outlets that they can reach. You can even install child safety wall plates or swivel plates. These outlet plates have plastic that snaps over the exposed plugin when it is not in use.
Using faulty electrical appliances.
Do you notice the circuit breaker always trips when you use a specific appliance? Whether it’s the toaster or the clothes dryer, these faulty appliances are a hazard and need to be repaired or replaced. They can cause an electrical fire, burn, shock or other injuries.